The Movie: The Revenant
You will watch this and begin to wonder if you have ever seen Oscar-winning Leonardo Di Caprio (Hugh Glass) in a bad film. He certainly did not begin with the Revenant. Ably assisted by Tom Hardy as John Fitzgerald and the ever impressive Will Poulter as Jim Bridger, the story revolves around hunting, hostile locals (the Arikara), the wilderness and betrayal.
Hugh Glass finds himself on the end of a mauling from a grizzly bear and essentially left to die (seemingly the most likely outcome from the attack) by his companions with the exception of Hawk (Forrest Goodluck) and Bridger. Fitzgerald sees the benefit in mercy killing Glass in order not to slow down the fleeing group. But no one has the guts to do this, and he takes it upon himself to try and smother Glass when the rest of the group has moved on.
Even the biggest of Tom Hardy fans will be rooting for his character to get his comeuppance and will not be left disappointed at the end, after an epic fight between the two main stars. Glass stops short of killing his nemesis but sends him down river to the Arikara, who succeed in scalping Fitzgerald but leaving Glass to live, albeit wounded and hallucinating. An all-around gripping must see, as Glass fights the elements, potential starvation, and the enemy.
The Menu: Spicy Bison Burgers
Leonardo di Caprio had to eat raw bison to survive in The Revenant. Here we cook the bison in delicious burgers.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes each side
- 16oz, 90% lean ground bison
- 1 red hot pepper, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1oz grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to season
- Sunflower oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground bison, onion, red capsicum, Parmesan, and seasoning. Do not overwork when mixing but make sure the mix is thoroughly combined.
- Shape into equal sized patties. Use plastic wrap to cover each one and refrigerate for at least one hour so that the patties firm up.
- When ready to eat, place a little oil in your skillet and cook for 4 minutes each side for medium cooked. Make sure the burgers are cooked on the inside.
- Serve on a bun with mayonnaise and a dressed mixed salad.