The Movie: Ruby Sparks
What if you had the power to bring to life your perfect mate, and craft every single detail of her physical and mental makeup? That was the case with Calvin Weir-Fields, when the young novelist realized that anything he wrote about his female main character came true.
Ruby Sparks is an amazing movie that may scare away some viewers who hate the indie tag. This is actually a perfect introduction to someone that wants to try an indie movie, as the pacing is perfect and the comedy is spot on. There is even a scene near the end that is terrifying for the main character and had people talking about it for months.
Ruby Sparks is played by Zoe Kazan, who also wrote the movie. She is incredibly talented, smart and a true rising star in the industry. So if you’re looking for a light fantasy film with a sprinkling of dark undertones, then Ruby Sparks is an awesome pick!
Available on: Apple iTunes, Google Play, and Netflix (DVD only)
The Menu: Ruby’s Strawberry Jell-O Flan Cake
You should reward your sweet tooth with different types of sugar and flavors. This cake when done tastes as good as it looks, and all without a huge hassle in the preparation.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cooking spray (such as Pam)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package strawberry cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups eggs
- 1 (14 ounces) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (3 ounces) packages strawberry flavored gelatin (such as Jell-O(R))
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a fluted cake pan (such as Bundt(R)) with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, 1 cup water, vegetable oil, and 3 eggs together in a bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Beat condensed milk, evaporated milk, 4 eggs, and vanilla extract together in another bowl until flan mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pan. Pour 3/4 of the strawberry cake batter on top of the flan mixture. Set cake pan in a roasting pan. Pour water into the roasting pan to read halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 6 hours.
- Place a plate on top of the cake pan and invert to loosen cake. Flip cake pan and plate back to return cake to the pan.
- Combine boiling water and gelatin in a bowl; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour 1 cup cold water into gelatin mixture. Let cool until gelatin mixture is warm to the touch. Pour gelatin mixture into the cake pan along the sides so that the gelatin runs under the cake and cake begins to float. Refrigerate until set; at least 5 hours.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and place pan in hot water to loosen from the sides of the cake pan. Invert onto a serving plate.